View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #99
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 2:21 AM

Well I had to go out again over the wire and deep into the "red zone". I was up in the rail yard of Bayji Iraq on Sunday. This was the second
busiest yard in Iraq, after Baghdad. I went to get a look at what was
there and working along with IRR, (Iraqi Republic Railroad) personnel to evaluate and try to get those facilities running as much as we can. It was a interesting place for you have criminals, squatters and organized crime working out of it. We were able to get the Iraqi Army to help us set up security and start to take it back and properly secure it. It got a bit spooky at times when driving through "Sopranoville", the town of Bayji, to get to the railyard with all of those people looking at us. I know a lot of them were having very unpleasant thoughts about us, but that is OK for this is Iraq and..... "it is all good!" Well you just got to tighten up your body armor and hold your M-16/A4 close and just keep going, "rolling through Bayji". It was advised we stay mixed in with the rail cars or in among the buildings due to snipers. It made for a very very interesting and long day. Another day out and about in Iraq!

...Happy Saint Patrick's Day!!!

CDR USN
"International Railroad Consultant"
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote