View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #510
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
The heat gun was me, not IBM. I was suggesting a less haircare-oriented approach they could have taken.
Thanks for pointing that out. I had intended to respond to your post, because I thought it was excellent, but then I got distracted with other posts.

Why do companies/corporations so routinely get the tone wrong? With all of this stuff such a big part of cultural discourse right now, how did nobody at IBM think to query this? How was this not picked up? It's fucking obvious.

I do agree that it's unfortunate that their efforts have ended up with a backlash. It's a shame. But - sometimes, it isn't enough just to try, you actually need to get it right.

Now, I don't know, because I am not privy to how they came up with this campaign, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the main creative input into the specifics of what that advert would look like, were male. I also wonder, as many of the articles have, how many of the 25% of IBM management that are women had sight of the drawing boards and scripts before they made them.

Last edited by DanaC; 12-08-2015 at 10:40 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote