View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #293
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Carmelized onions minced would certainly add that whole Umame angle, Maillard reaction and all that. Oatmilk is another one that has a velvety texture.

Sounds yummy, but I dig what you are saying about food not mixing with chemo. I'm surprised you can even be around food.

How old are your kids? You make them sound like teenagers in the kitchen.
I'll have to try oatmilk sometime, if it gives a richer texture. And the carmelized onions sound great! I'd like it - my family has tended to insist on perfect white whipped potatoes in the past. They're broadening their horizons gradually.

The kids are 20 - 26 but the younger ones have only lately developed much interest in the kitchen. My oldest prefers low-fat mainly vegetarian and my two youngest gravitate to comfort foods when at home, hence the ham and scalloped potatoes. I'd hoped they'd want to try some novel taste combinations, but it's all good. Once they get cooking more they'll branch out.

As for chemo ... I have two or three bad days (like this weekend) right after a treatment, and then things start to resolve. I'm very fortunate that way, my taste returns to normal within a week. A downside: I have to watch my weight! Who'd 'a thunk you could gain weight on chemo? Because of the steroids and current meds regimens, a lot of women do, apparently. What a gyp.

(Eating well for health actually helps - I've gained a few steroid pounds but not much. Not feeling well enough to exercise consistently is probably the biggest challenge.)