Thread: Georgism
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2003, 09:14 AM   #68
ThisOleMiss
Resident President

I'm starting to feel right proud of my role as 'oppresive landowner'. Let's see, my husband and I worked and saved for three years to come up with a down payment for our house in California. Then he retired from the navy, and thanks to an overinflated real estate market, we made what most liberals, lazy people, and other folks of no background or breeding would consider an obscene profit. Never mind that we had been breaking our backs for the last five years to make double payments to get the mortgage paid down. Anyway, we moved back to Mississippi and with the profits from the sale of our home, was able to pay cash for the land we now own. It's ours, free and clear, but, if we ever fail to make a tax payment, it suddenly becomes the property of the government. Where's the justice in that? Not that I'm complaining about paying taxes, although there is a whole list of things I'd rather do than pay taxes (root canal, ingrown toenail, visit from the in-laws) but I conceed that ALL people should pay SOME taxes, and the less the better.

About a month after we bought this place we got a letter from the tax accessor wanting to know what we were planning on doing with the property. Being one of those people who firmly believe it's none of the governments damned business what I do on my own land, I wrote back we were going to open a nudist colony. Haven't heard from them since, but I have the feeling that some poor beurocrat spent the morning looking up millage fees on nudists colonies.

Maggie M...

PS: ignore the spelling, I am dyslesic as hell and have always had
a problem with spelling.

This is sad, a witch who can't spell.