View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My Kindle arrived yesterday.

The packaging was even too cute ... looks like an oversized book, had nice little compartments to hold the device, cables, and minimal printed documentation.

It's too cool.

It fits extremely well in the hand, has a book-ish feel to it, and the display is excellent.

It arrives already hooked up to your amazon account information, and makes sucking new books into the device a breeze.

After going through the introductory section of the User's Manual, I headed straight for the store and downloaded my first book ... Anathem by Neal Stephenson. I'm fairly well into it at this point, enjoying the book itself, and also the interface.

If you need to look up a word while you're reading, it's very easy to get definitions.

I do agree with some of the reviewers who have said that the page forward/back buttons are placed in such a way as to make it easy to accidentally trigger them, but overall, the Kindle is SWEET.

I have heard that they have redesigned it to address some of these issues, and the version 2 release will be adding charge via USB, but the prerelase buzz is that the original Kindle is to be preferred at this point, something about not being able to access the battery compartment or use SD cards for additional storage? Not sure about that, though.

I'm lovin' it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote