Thread: Tony...
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2001, 03:11 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I've already thought of that! I'm sure people could figure it out. But thinking about it now, even if they do, the pseudonym could still "work". Because the point is not to be anonymous to fool people, or to play with them, or to create something that doesn't exist, etc. The whole point is for people to feel free to argue with me.

And if they figure out they're arguing with my pseudonym, they'll know why I'm posting that way! And they'll be reminded of it every time.

The worst case was with cerebus's ex. She was a very vocal sort and we wound up having serious disagreements. Then after one thread she just seemed to get utterly pissed at me, and announced her departure. She wasn't leaving because of the disagreement, she was leaving because she couldn't stand being on a system where the owner felt that way.

And that's exactly what I didn't want to have happen. Even if someone hates me to the core, they could still enjoy using the system. It doesn't benefit me any for people to just come here and post. It's not like it makes any money or would ever make any money.

That whole event really bothered me. That was when, in the "old days", I "sold" the system to J.R. "Bob" Dobbs so that I could post as myself and enjoy it. But I think that, these days, people want to know if they start enjoying a site that it has a sort of plan and won't be dying on them prematurely. So I figured the easiest way would be for me to be honest about being the guy who runs it.

If you figure it out, that's really cool! And I'll keep using the alternate ID, and everyone will understand.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote