View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I have called in my wife's guru to unscramble my Windows configuration. Only because apparently, it is illegal to shoot things within city limits!

Linux, no problem fixing that. I made a backup of the configuration file in question before I messed with it and when it became obvious that I had done something wrong, all I had to do was delete the bad one and rename the good one and everything was fine, after a simple command-line session.

Why, oh why, couldn't that work with Windows?

After a full day of frustrating reconfiguring and lost sleep, not to mention tearing out all my long hair, I have decided that Windows is not long for this household. I was going to let it stay around as a dual-boot companion. But once I figure out how to get my stuff off, it's gone! Even the laptop won't be spared.

The few pieces of software that NEED Windows can be done without. Eventually, either a Linux variant will come along that will do the job or I will learn to live without.

Bye Bye Team Viewer! You were useful to me but since you don't support Linux, I don't want you anymore!

I am impressed enough already by the later versions of Ubuntu that it will be my new system. Heck, it even found my networked printer...seamlessly! Windows never did find it, even with the proper software. I had to install a wireless card to use the darn thing! Linux found and installed the only working printer in the house (the Lexmark needs new ink cartridges again!).

I thought I'd miss the Wizards but the newer package managers do a pretty good job of finding and installing things. They keep my desktop clear too! For the odd lost file, FIND does a superior job of telling me where it is. Windows search companion is far too slow and half the time doesn't find what I asked for!

Now, as for my data transfer issue...

Who can tell me how to mount my external HD via USB? My manuals are not very clear on this point.