View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #216
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

I'm "re-organizing" my recipes, a task I did not think would be so daunting, so I thought I'd post some tried-and-trues here as I'm going through them, especially since I stole a few from you all. I'll post more as I get them scanned into my puter.

7 - 10 Layer Salad
  • 1 1/2 qts chopped lettuce
  • 2 c chopped tomatoes
  • 2 c sliced mushrooms
  • 1 (10 oz) pkg frozen peas
  • 2 c small broccoli or cauliflower flourettes
  • 4 oz cubed mild cheddar
  • 1 c green and/or red pepper
  • several sliced hard boiled eggs
  • 1 c red onion rings
  • several slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
  • 2 c mayo
  • 2 tbsp sugar
Layer ingredients in large (2-3 qt) clear serving bowl. Mix mayo and sugar (or use 2 c Miracle Whip); spread on top of salad. Garnish with bacon. Chill. Pretty salad esp at holidays.

Cheese Squares
  • 1 c swiss cheese, shredded
  • 1 c parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 1/2 c mayo
  • onion, grated, to taste
  • 1 loaf Pepperidge Farms very thin sliced bread, quartered, crust removed
Preheat to 400F. Mix ingredients together and spread on bread. Toast 4-5 min. Quick, easy app.

Sausage and Cheese Balls
  • 1 lb ground hot Italian pork sausage
  • 2-3 c Bisquik
  • 1 lb very shark NY cheddar, grated
  • 3/4 c H2O
Preheat 350F. Combine sausage and cheese. Add Bisquik, working with hands. Shape into balls and bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 15 min. Easy, and freakin yummy! Pork and cheese, pork and cheese!

Broccoli Cheese Casserole a/k/a How To Get Your Kid To Eat Broccoli
  • 2 packages frozen chopped broccoli (or spinach, or other veggies), mostly thawed (par cook fresh veggies)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or any cream-based soup)
  • 1 cup mayo
  • 2 cups medium or sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 eggs
  • onion, diced (I usually put in a whole large onion)
  • 1-2 cloves garlic
  • S&P
  • approx 1/2 - 1 cup bread crumbs
Preheat oven to about 375F. Layer veggies in casserole dish to cover the bottom.* In mixing bowl, mix all remaining ingredients except the bread crumbs.** Pour mixture evenly over veggies. Bake for about 25 minutes, then remove from oven,*** spread a little butter over the top and sprinkle bread crumbs. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

* I often will make this by par cooking bone/skin-less chicken breasts and put them on the bottom under the veggies.
** Diced ham or bacon thrown into the wet mixture is wonderful.
*** I started adding sliced tomatoes in a layer on top just under the bread crumbs. I hate tomatoes, but other people love it this way.

Spinach-Artichoke Dip
(I can't recall the measurements, just the ingredients, so I play with it until I get the right consistency/taste)
  • Spinach
  • Artichoke hearts
  • Butter
  • heavy cream
  • sour cream
  • garlic, sautéed
  • onion
  • Tabasco
  • parmesan
  • white cheddar
Mix, bake to warm.

And last, but definitely not least... the best muther-effing version of French Toast ever... Except for that french toast made with raisin bread and cream cheese...

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup
  • 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash salt
  • Praline Topping, recipe follows
  • Maple syrup
Slice French bread into 20 slices, or about 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or breadcrumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 x 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote