View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #241
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ah, bringing religion into it changes everything.
Location also.

My reading and the anecdotal evidence I've heard suggests that closed communities are the most accepting. Which includes areas in cities and rural communities. Obviously not in the case of your Grandparents.

But the East End was very much a place where you deal with you own problems, and don't invite Lily Law in to deal with them for you. So the chap at number 42 smacks his wife about. You all know it, but that's life.

And in a village you know the chap who lives at Church End cottage diddles with his daughters. Well, that's what happens. If he diddles with yours he'll get a pitchfork where the sun don't shine. But you won't mess with what don't hurt you.

Things are different now.
I'm not saying these things don't happen any more, and I'm not saying people don't turn a blind eye. But it's not as easily glossed over these days.
And I don't mean to make it all about men vs women - in the times and in the situations I've mentioned, what we would now consider crimes were those in which men believed they owned the women living under their roofs, and used physical strength to get what they wanted. In no way a typical male/ female relationship.