View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 10:19 PM   #112
Chefranden
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

Of course you don't. *snort* Of course everyone can see that your point of view is calm, reasoned and rational, whereas mine is a knee-jerk reflex.

*I* think you have made a mistake in suggesting that cortical thinking never results in self-defense behavior. (You'll know when I start thinking with my thinking with my limbic system, because my rate of fire will go cyclic. Very contrasurival.)

I also think you've confused neuropsychology with phrenology, because that's the approximate level of your analysis.

By the way, to hold that the US actions are equivalant to those of the Jihadists *is* to defend the Jihadists.
When all else fails try Ad Hominem right Maggie? That’s good fascist logic, hey girl! The old if you don’t agree with me you are evil ploy. That’s good. Bin Laden would be proud of you. Hell Himmler would be proud of you. There I feel better. I apologize for the Ad Hominem in return. Sigh, it would appear that I’m no better than you. But not really, because I didn’t mean it.

Quote:
The victims of the terroist attacks on WTC were 100% "civilians" and "innocents"...in fact they were the *intentional targets* of the attacks. The military *responses* to those attacks have made every effort to *avoid* civilian casualties. It's not a double standard.I just don't accord folks who hijack airplanes and deliberately fly them into buildings full of civilians or wrap themselves in high-explosives and shrapnel and dentonate in a shopping mall the same standing I do to the military who *respond* to those attacks under orders to deny the attackers further sanctuary so they can strike again.
Self defenses takes place at the time of a hostile action, not months afterward. If some evening your neighbor threatens you with a weapon you may take action against him, but you may not go shot him in the morning even if you promise not to shoot his kids unless they are in the way. The action that Mr. Bush plans against Iraq in the near future is not self-defense it is an attack, during a time of no hostile action against us from those people. When the government takes certain actions that it knows will, in spite of being careful, cause thousands of casualties and then “intentionally” caries on with said action it is intentionally causing casualties. Saying oops I didn’t mean it doesn’t count in my book any way and it didn’t used to count in a court of law. If bin Laden were to have said oops I only meant to blow up the 20th floor, you wouldn’t have cut him any slack. Nor should you have. The atrocities of one side of a conflict do not justify atrocities of the other. The moral ball is always in our court, if we act as the enemy acts we are no better than he.

You haven’t made a case for bombing Afghanis, for bombing Iraqis, for killing children, for killing mothers, for killing fathers, or anyone else, except self-defense, which it is not, and worse we are the good guys because we’ll be careful therefore it’s ok.
I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket. Major General Smedley Butler, USMC
Chefranden is offline   Reply With Quote