View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #17
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

So I did this thing.

Remember a month ago, when I said that if I were going to attempt a profession other than my own, it would be stand up comedy? Well my life philosophy has always been, if you want it just go fucking do it. So I wrote some material, and last night I went and performed at Open Mic Night at the comedy club here in town.

It was seriously fun. It's hard to gauge when you're performing, but out of 25 performers I was definitely in the top 5 as far as number of laughs. Granted, several people were completely terrified to be on stage and abandoned ship even before their 4 minutes were up, and at least half of them brought a set list on stage with them to remind them what joke came next, so I obviously wasn't among professionals. But still, I was pretty proud of how I did.

There were a few drawbacks. The club has a 2-item minimum, which goes for anyone who sits in a chair, either in the showroom or at the bar. Performers are only exempt if they stand along the side aisle. Still easily able to see the stage, so not completely sequestered, but I was nonetheless standing in heels for 2 and a half hours.

I wish I'd had the courage to ask one of the other performers to record my set on my phone, but no one else did and it felt too weird. But I'm totally going to do it again.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote