View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 01:34 AM   #151
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Late at night, I listen to Katie Segal sing 'Bird on the Wire'. Her voice is so beautiful. I can listen to it sung by Leonard Cohen as well, but I love Katie's voice.

My father lives with us; he's 80 turning 81; he's frail physically, although he's pretty good mentally. There are so many complications with my spouse, it isn't worth parsing them out. Just: lots of complications.

Nevertheless, I have so many good memories with my dad, memories of figuring out how to master a recalcitrant outboard motor on a small dinghy; memories of landing a fish slightly bigger and feistier than anything in previous experience; memories of squelching the recoil and cleaning my catch with a steady hand.

I took care of my mother-in-law for so many years, and I took so much abuse from her ... it happens, I get it. My husband refers to it and feels that his tolerance of my father makes up for it. But my father, a Brit to whom courtesy and manners are sacrosanct, has never offered my spouse any sort of insult, certainly nothing close to what my mil felt entitled to loose upon me.

I'm still here, for a time. I waver between staying up late and savoring every moment, and going to bed early to try to be as healthy as possible. I lean toward the former. I want to savor every moment here, and embrace whatever comes next.