Thread: Car question
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #111
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
The roof used to buzz from the vibration and that's not happening recently, but there is still some roughness in the idle after it warms up. You can feel it in the steering wheel and the cds in the door pocket rattle. It still goes away when you give it some gas. ...
Is it worth it to buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and dumping that in the tank? Would that harm anything other than a few wasted dollars?
Is that a new symptom? Roughness was when warm; not when cold? Or is roughness same when engine is warm or cold at 1000 or 1200 RPM - the cold idle speed?

I would avoid even trying to fix anything. First establish some trends. You still have some Liberty gas in there. And you really do not have MPG numbers. Only mileage for some approximate gallons of gas.

Stated earlier: first get facts. Dumping that miracle fluid in only adds another variable; can create confusion. One step at a time. You describe something that is not serious. You can live with it for a few months until the problem makes itself obvious.

Or you can take a nuclear option. Spend more. Take it to the dealer. My preference is to learn from an anomaly that is minor - will not leave you stuck. Not just learn how a car works. But how to better diagnose any problem. A memorable moment in life is that "Aha-Ha" moment. When that solution is sudden, obvious, and appears to materialize from nowhere.

I would avoid that additive until current trends stabilize - ie enough tanks to accurately identify gas mileage or to see roughness stabilize – become predictable. Currently roughness is different at different engine temperatures? Or just at different idle RPMs?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote