Thread: The Obamanation
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #53
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Great so why can't they get a fucking thing done! Really? The Democrats own this. They are in charge. If this fails it is their fault.
Why can't they get a fucking thing done? Perhaps, because they have been debating the stimulus package for all of two weeks. Damn, why are you in such a fucking hurry to declare "no change" or "failure" before even giving them a chance...perhaps because that is what you want to see?

I would prefer that they make the package as good as possible rather than do it as quickly as possible within a reasonably expeditious time frame.

The one significant difference in what we are seeing with the Democrats controlling both the Congress and the White House....no quick rubber stamp of the administration's wishes by the Congress on what is likely to be the most significant action of the Obama administration and the Democratic Congress over the next four years.

Would the country have been better off if there had been more debate and less rush to rubber-stamping by the Republican majority at the time (and yes, a minority of Democrats as well) of Bush's wishes on his most significant "achievements" (ie, $multi-billion tax cuts targeted to the top taxpayers, the Patriot Act, the Iraq War)? I think so.

In the end, as I said, I think those differences between Obama and the Congressional leaders are not that significant. Obama will get most of what he wants, much of the Congressional pork will be removed, bi-partisan provisions (ie more targeted tax cuts) will be added in an attempt to respond to the Republican wishes..... and those Congressional Republicans can choose to join or oppose.

And as you say, and I agree, if it fails, the Democrats will be responsible and the voters will decide in a few years if they want want to continue down that road.

And if they succeed, they will also be responsible and it will cement their approval by the public and perhaps even result in a larger majority in Congress for an even longer period of time than a typical party cycle change....something that has the Republicans shitting in their pants.

Last edited by Redux; 02-06-2009 at 07:26 AM.