View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #47
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

l123, UT:

Sorry I was unclear. I didn't try very hard to explain my point. That point is this: I think it is right for UT to accept tips to cover expenses. Those expenses include regular expenses like the colo bill and the line charges as well as equipment, maintenance and upgrades. Without the gear, the whole concept is moot. Just because the equipment expenses are not as regular as a monthly phone bill does not mean they are not as important to pay.

UNFORTUNATELY they tend to be higher than the monthly phone bill.

FORTUNATELY they tend to be more infrequent.

UNFORTUNATELY the amount cannot be precisely known in advance.

FORTUNATELY the amount can be saved for.

So my point is the same as yours, l123. Collect the tips. Pay the bills. Save for the "not if, but when" expenses. One good way to do this is start the tip mug *empty* each month. It is an incentive to donate. I am more inclined to respond to the nag of an unfilled tip mug more than I am to a filled tip mug.

I'm not the biggest donor nor am I the biggest freeloader. I'm in the middle somewhere. It's easier for me to donate smaller amounts more frequently than it is for me to donate larger amounts less frequently. So I'm counting on UT to have saved for the big expenses, because I have less confidence in my ability to come through in the pinch with big bucks than I do in my ability to pay some as I go.

By the way, Thank You, Undertoad, very very much for making the cellar possible. My appreciation of your efforts exceeds by far my ability to pay or express. You have done a good thing here, and I am grateful.