Thread: DIY Deck
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #192
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Today the electrician comes to upgrade our electrical service.

I'm told this will be a two day process. Originally, day one would have been used to switch meter bases and electrical panels. Plan was to have the power company cut power to the house to make the switch to the new meter safe to do. Turns out, the power company doesn't do courtesy cutoffs/reconnects like this on the weekend.

So the new day one will be *me* crawling under the house in the crawlspace to drag the pair of four conductor (probably AWG 4) cables from the entrance to the crawlspace which is next to the deck under the house to the opposite side of the house where the electrical service, meter, and panel are now. I imagine some kind of hole through the floor and wall will be needed, once located, to run the cable up to where the new panel will be installed. I think there will also be a new panel installed today, but only the new circuit connected to it. Then, back out on the deck, the hot tub sub panel (provided by the hot tub company with two GFCI breakers in it, one 30 amp, one 20 amp) will be installed and connected to one set of four conductors for a dedicated circuit.

The other circuit will have its own sub panel and be available for a one of more accessory circuits on the deck, lights, etc. The rest of the 230v circuit will end in a "stub" for further expansion, notably the workshop to be built beyond the garage.

The electrician and I have agreed to let me help on the job in return for a reduction on the bill, basically, he'll pay me what he'd pay any other helper and subtract my "wage" from the bill. I'd be up in his stuff all day anyhow, might as well get paid.

Now crawling under the house is the least attractive part of this proposition and I might have to subcontract this task to one of the kid's skinny friends. We'll see. And you'll see, I already have pics of the torn out wall, ready for its close-up.