View Single Post
Old 01-20-2002, 08:10 AM   #45
Nic Name
retired

X of the day, is only overwhelming if only one person is responsible for sourcing it.

I gather that your concept for IotD was originally that you would source, choose and post the IotD, and the members would discuss it. IotD was probably an original forum a year ago, when there were only a handful of members, and yet, it has worked well and grown into the most popular forum.

Obviously, it's even better if the whole community participates. And with over 300 members, growing daily now, I don't think there would be any problem with good content in any X of the Day that were a popular subject.

The key may be to avoid being too specific in the thread topic, by being more inclusive in the title, where possible. That's why I suggested Cartoon of the Day, rather than Political Cartoon of the Day. The first includes content from the latter, but not vice versa.

I think the cartoons submitted in the reply posts above "illustrate" my point, that this is an excellent medium for sharing graphics, as well as community discussion of those graphics.

By the way, judging from the "conversations" in other threads, it might also be a good idea to start a forum called something like Pet Paradise, where members can share their love for particular animals, along with their pics and stories, etc. With the number of members who likely have pets of various kinds, this could be a huge interest group. (The subject of pets has a strong effect on community, because it discloses "personal" details that show the personality to the individual members.)

As well, I thought there was a pretty favorable response to the idea of Cities as a main forum topic with specific cities as sub-forum headings within which members could develop threads relevant to that city, as has happened with Philadelphia. (I think that thread ideas in one city would be food for thought, and would "spawn" similar threads in other cities.)

If you want to get that started soon, by creating a Cities forum and moving Philadelphia into that, and adding Toronto, I would help start some initial threads in Toronto, to show some of the potential. Other members may ask you to create forums for specific cities they are in, or you could seed the Cities forum at the initial setup with a few large cities to get it going faster. You may have a good idea from the members' profiles which cities may be of interest.

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-20-2002 at 09:39 AM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote