Thread: Are you ready?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #25
dmg1969
I got nothing

While I by no means consider myself a "survivalist", I am into preparedness. We started getting prepared shortly after 9-11...when a lot of like-minded people probably got started. My wife and I both have a "Get Home Bag" (GHB) in our vehicles. It contains the everyday items you would need in case of emergency (flashlight, first-aid kit, etc.).

However, a Get Home Bag goes a few steps beyond. In addition to the above, ours have a rain poncho, thermal blanket, knife, multi-tool, cordage, fire starting supplies, compass, whistle, signaling mirror, gloves, small amount of food (granola bars and peanut butter crackers), two bottles of water and other items.

It is essentially what it says...supplies to help you survive until you can get home.

Other than the GHB, we have a BoB (Bug Out Bag) in case something drastic happens close to home and we have to flee in a hurry. It has many more things that will enable us to survive for a longer period of time...even in the woods. Examples are: mess kits, big first-aid kit, sleeping bags and mats, a tarp for a makeshift tent, tent stakes, water purification, quite a bit of food and much more. That would only be for a drastic event.

Being prepared does not necessarily mean you are planning for another terrorist event or a zombie apocalypse. There are many other local and regional scenerios...flood, earthquake, hurricane, train derailment with toxic release (I have tracks kind of close by). Hell, if the government is telling you to have certain things on hand....(www.ready.gov)