View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #45
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I understand the act of settling on a point and then arguing from it without explaining. It can get tiring repeating your 'workings' and you can forget them somtimes ('I know this is my point of view I just can't remember why').

Your point about justice - one life for another - is valid. But what you must realise is that not all crimes are the same. Not every murder is a cold-blooded killing with no regard for their actions, no conscience and no sense. What would you do if you were alone with a guy who had locked you in a room, spent 3 days torturing you, raping you, shitting on you, and you saw a knife and your opportunity. Would you kill him and get the fuck out of there? Or would you, calmly and rationally, think 'oh I couldn't possibly do that, killing is wrong, and therefore every killing is wrong, so I can't kill him. I wouldn't want to risk the death sentence.'

Come on Lady S, I can get over your dogmaticism if you have a point, but please recognise crime is not black and white (nor is it predominantly black if that's your next joke) and sometimes there is margin for error.

If you recognise there is variation in crime you cannot wax lyrical about standardised punishment or justice.