View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I know all about dragging four small children along on grocery shopping trips. Navigating a huge parking lot with a bunch of preschoolers and a baby was terrifying. I know there are all sorts of situations. It's the general principles I'm talking about.

My point re my m-i-l was that her trips took real effort, they weren't a mere stroll. At 84, navigating the hills on the way to the store wasn't easy, nor was pulling the cart. She lived on far less than poverty level income so the cost of the cart was significant to her, but she made it a priority. She didn't have Pampers to buy but also didn't have WIC or other programs.

I think the maps offer some food for thought, but a much closer look is needed. And while some single moms may find it impossible to get to the store (although how do they get anywhere, then? Do they never leave the apartment?), part of public health planning is to get programs going that bring the 'store' right into the neighborhood, whether as farmer's markets or coops or community gardens. Living in urban areas is actually more friendly to walking, as glatt says. I know an urban planner in Denver who is frustrated beyond reason with the typical suburban planning layout, who wants to plan small urban-style neighborhoods where you can walk to all the important stores and services. Anyway ... plenty of food for thought and planning.