Thread: Drunks
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #35
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

This is probably one of the most interesting threads I've read on the cellar for a while.

I don't have much to add except thanks for the discussion and to say that I agree with what Zen said about Australian Aboriginal culture and booze. It's a big problem, but then, so is general teenage binge drinking also. I'm watching my boys head towards the age group most effected by this habit and I'm very frightened indeed. This is part of the reason my husband and I have both put the brakes on drinking around the kids much. Just so that they have a better example from us as they head into these very difficult years of their lives.

I have to say that I in particular have been a bad example on some occasions. More than I really want to admit, but I hope that the fact that both Dazza and I can just not drink if we decide to, or that when we go out in social situations we don't have to drink, sinks in. Mostly I just hope that the kids will always be open to discussion on the subject as they are now, and believe me, the problem is quite obvious among their peer group already.