Thread: Weird News
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #3502
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I was thinking the same thing. But then I remembered that they have different property rules there. Maybe they are technically/legally leasing it from the Queen? Maybe it's the local council's problem if the residents don't actually own the land the way we own land here?

I have a very poor understanding of UK real estate laws. I just know they are bizarre.
Most houses in England and Wales are owned 'freehold'.
The owner owns the structure and the plot on which it sits lock, stock and barrel.
In the property deeds there will be details of utilities which cross the land and who is responsible for them.
Sometimes, a specific public utility will be shown to have access for necessary work to be carried out.*
In this instance, although I cannot be certain, I think that the property owner will be responsible for maintenance and repairs.

*ETA We have a pole on the boundary with our neighbour which carries power and telephone cables.
Occasionally, when work is required, one of the crew knocks on the door and asks if it is OK to do so.
It's all done on an informal basis and it's very unlikely that someone will march to your door waving a High Court order.