Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM   #27
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Hi P------:

It was very nice to meet you as well. I’ll go through your list of questions, and attached you should find a copy of my resume. Ready? Let’s go.

VLANs

VLAN stands for Virtual Local Area Network. All the computers in a given location could be considered part of a single network. It may be advantageous however to segregate different groups of machines into different networks. One reason for this division would be to keep machines belonging to a single group, say, Engineering or Accounting, together. This is understandable, but sometimes the physical segregation and the logical segregation are not in sync. Through the use of Virtual LANs those divisions can be established by what port they’re connected to, instead of where the whole physical network/machine exists. VLANs allow the definition of separate LANs irrespective of their physical locations. I have extensive experience in establishing whole networks. The virtualization of this process was not an issue for me since we didn’t need it and consequently didn’t have the equipment for it. All the switches I used were unmanaged. But I am familiar with all the concepts. All I’d need to do is find where the lights and wiper controls are.

VPNs

Another Virtual concept, it stands for Virtual Private Network. If you imagine that the VLANs are used to divide machines physically close together into separate networks, then VPNs do the opposite. A VPN allows a machine or network that is physically separate from another network to connect to the network as though it were a local connection. All of my work at WG Clark involved VPNs, since the jobsites were always removed from the corporate office, and always needed access to the corporate network.

Cisco PIX

A Cisco PIX is a firewall. A firewall (in computer terms) takes its name from its building construction namesake. It is a part of the structure that keeps bad stuff—fire or unauthorized network access—away from the rest of the structure. Cisco, a leading name in connectivity worldwide, has a wide range of products, and the PIX line is one of the most popular. We had PIX at WG Clark, and I have been inside in on several occasions, changing settings to reflect the changes in our network, such as the addition of new jobsites.

Cisco Checkpoint

This is a little bit of a puzzle, since both are names of companies. Cisco makes networking gear, including the PIX firewall. Checkpoint makes network gear, including the Firewall-1. I do have some experience with the FW-1 product from my days at Princess. I wasn’t in charge of the system, but I have used it, as well as other firewall technologies.

Layer 2 and Layer 3 configurations

Layer 2 and Layer 3 refer to two parts of the OSI model the data link layer and the network layer, respectively. When it comes to computer to computer communication, underneath that hard candy shell is a long list of separate elements. One critically important aspect of this conversation is the location of the computers. How to get from one to another is a routing function. If you could imagine the old time switchboards, the operator performed the function of Layer 3. By listening to the request by the caller about where they wanted to be connected, they knew where to plug in that wire on the board. Knowing where and making the connection is what Layer 3 is about. Layer 2 is analogous to the electrical impulses that make up the conversation. It also contains information about the physical unique address of the hardware. The bits, the ones and zeroes, that make up all computer language travels on Layer 2.

In the context of your question, the Layer 2 and Layer 3 refer to the facts about a given machine that would me used to define what VLAN it was a part of.

VOIP on the Cisco side

I have some experience with VOIP, on different kinds of hardware, but none on Cisco VOIP specifically. I’ve setup VOIP at home and at jobsites. It is another network resource, like email or printers or files or applications that remote users need access to in order to do their jobs. Actually, VOIP isn’t limited to remote users, all telephone users could benefit equally from the technology.

Call manager, voice gateways, Avaya PBX integration

I have experience with similar gear, using the call manager, pbx gateway and pbx switch from Iwatsu. The concepts are likely the same, but the actual software is specific to the hardware. I believe I could understand and use it with a minimum of trouble.

Well, that’s the end of your list. Sorry it took so long, dinner time around here was hectic. Anyway, I checked out your website and I saw a couple other postings I’d be interested in. How would you like to proceed on that score? Would you like me to complete the online application, just the resume, just tell you the job numbers, or wait for further instruction? Well, for now, I’ll wait for you. But if I haven’t heard from you by, say, Thursday, I’ll take the initiative myself. I’d be happy to work with you Pete. You seem like a good guy, and I could use all the help I can get.

I look forward to hearing from you again. Thanks for your interest and your help.

Yours,
name, address, etc
Subject: Nice Talking To You

Hi BigV, (not really, j/k)
It was nice talking to you. Here’s what I need. To help me represent you for this opportunity, please provide me with a brief summary of your experience in the following areas:
VLan’s

VPN’s

Cisco Pix

Cisco Checkpoint

Layer II and III configurations

VoIP on the Cisco Side

Knowledge of call manager, voice gateways and integration between an Avaya PBX over a network

Send me this info along with a word doc of your current resume and I’ll get to work for you!

Thanks, and please call me with any questions,

name address etc
Here's the "interview". What do you think? Haven't sent it yet, but I will in about 10 minutes.