View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Kate Atkinson - I've bigged her up before. She writes about people on the edge of lives, women who wonder, "Is this all there is? Where's my real life?" but with great humour. The despair of her characters stays with me, but I laugh out loud reading every single book. She also weaves intricate plots, and paths cross eachother when you least expect it. Her books are set in real situations, but there is often an element of the bizarre, if not downright fantasy. Behind the Scenes at the Museum is a good place to start.

Esther Freud - writes mainly about childhood, mostly from the point of view of a child. Very evocative writer, understands the confusion and lack of ability to see the bigger picture that most children have. When you read her books you are aware that there is more going on than the character is aware of. Funny, gentle, well written. Again, there is pain there, but more often smiles. Hideous Kinky is probably her best known, my personal favourites are Peerless Flats and The Wild.

Jonathan Coe - another bittersweet writer. He can make me laugh so hard I have to put the book down, but also his characters are so well drawn that any pain or hopelessness they feel is felt directly by you. Another elegant writer, with a way of carefully planting threads throughout the book that are cleverly drawn together before you are even aware of it. I always feel sorry to realise I am coming to the end of one of his books. My personal favourite is The House of Sleep - which goes on my Top Ten List of All Time. I gave it away because I loved it so much. Hasn't come back to me, I guess it wasn't real love.

Mark Gatiss - a bit of a cheat here as the man is one of my heroes. He's only written two non-Dr Who books so far (he has a three book deal, the next one is due out shortly) but they're corkers. Slyly funny, fast faced and a bit of hot sexy action. The book equivalent of a takeaway - you wouldn't want to live on it, but you look forward to it as a treat.

Jasper Fforde - again, funny, fast paced, full of puns and literary allusions. Start with The Eyre Affair and read in order. Ooh, checking Amazon I see there are some I haven't read! Damn not having a charity bookshop on my doorstep any more!

If I saw a book by any of the above and I had money in my pocket I would buy it. No questions, wouldn't read the back, wouldn't leaf through it - straight up to the counter and home with a sense of anticipation. I recommend them to everyone who asks me about books. Hope someone here will try one and enjoy.