View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 04:46 AM   #4355
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

My YouTube recommendations frequently include dog rescues carried out by 'Hope For Paws' in Los Angeles.
The other day I chose to view the story of an abandoned and aged German Shepherd.
The video started off with the outbound journey and within seconds I had spotted a dismantled Spitfire in RAF markings on a low loader.

Name:  Spitfire.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  109.4 KB

I found the serial rather difficult to read but eventually settled on R9632.
A number of searches point toward it being used in the making of the film 'Dunkirk' and being owned by Comanche Fighters of Houston.

Name:  R9632.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  142.2 KB

Quote:
X4650 Spitfire Mk Ia (Comanche Fighters)

Based at Duxford Airfield, previously at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, Biggin Hill, Kent.
Wears normaly the authentic markings X4650 / KL-A from 54 Squadron, which it wore when with the Squadron in 1940.
But currently the plane is painted as R9632/LC for the coming movie “Dunkirk”
X4650’s first flight was at Eastleigh on the 23rd October 1940. She was issued to 24 M.U. Tern Hill, Shropshire, UK on the 25th October 1940 on charge with 54 Sqn. Catterick, Yorkshire.
She was involved in a mid-air collision in December 1940 and struck off charge in June 1941. The wreckage was discovered on the banks of the river Lever in 1976.
The remains were acquired by Peter Monk in 1995 and soon after restoration work on her was commenced. First post restoration flight was from Biggin Hill in March 2012.
She is now owned by Comanche Fighters, Houston, Texas.
LINK

I'd hesitantly suggest that at the time the video was made the aircraft had arrived back in the US still wearing its temporary markings, rather than being on its way to the UK.
Owned by a firm in Houston and on a truck in LA?
Something of a puzzle.

Anyway, to finish off where I started...