View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #20
chrisinhouston
Professor

This water pump is inside the engine under the front cover and behind the timing chains (no belts on this engine). Stupid design if you ask me.

I just got the call from the stealership, I think the service guy was nervous telling me the cost of the job. $1785 plus tax (about $147). It is 12 hours labor and they do an oil system flush and fluid change because it is possible water may have gotten into the crankcase. When I spoke to my financial adviser to get the funds released he called a friend who has an independent shop for an idea of the job and the guy said he would charge at least $1500. So since it was already at the Ford dealer and that is where my step son takes his Ford cars, even for simple things like oil changes that is where it goes. Oh and I also saw one of those price estimators and it said the same thing so they are way off on the estimate!

I'm still upset at being blamed for this, the service rep told me he has never seen an Edge water pump go out with that few miles. It just sucks that I was the one driving it. I got to wondering how my stepson would have felt if something would have happened to make the car crash, like a wheel just coming off from a part failing and I was seriously injured or even killed. Would he be worrying about who was going to pay for his precious car? Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Other interesting point is that when my stepson bought the Ford Explorer a few months ago as the replacement for the Edge they offered him only $6000 for it (he always does trade-ins as opposed to selling an old car himself) so he decided to keep it for his 14 year old son who will be learning to drive and also for when he doesn't want to drive his $80,000 2015 red Corvette to work. So my repair will be around 1/3 of the value of the car. I can remember when you could get an entire engine overhaul for not much more then $2500!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote