View Single Post
Old 04-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #205
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

This isn't exactly a joke, but I did find it humorous.

From the Netflix web site... renter reviews of the DVD "Strawberry Shortcake: Get Well Adventure":

"Don't get me wrong - I like Strawberry Shortcake and my two-year old twins adore "cake", but this DVD is horrible. The story is based around Honey Pie Pony sustaining an injured leg and her friends, including Huckleberry Pie and Orange Blossom, coming to her rescue. They bend over backward for her and all she does is complain. It would be fine if it were once or twice, but the dang pony just keeps droning on and on and on, which quickly becomes painful & frustrating to listen to."

"I have never seen a Strawberry Shortcake book, movie or cartoon. I was shocked to see how much sugary treats occupy the characters' attention. It encourages kids (directly and indirectly) to have bad nutrition. The narrative, characters and plot were not enough to make me overlook this (as I do for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I confess). Insipid, shallow, annoying, and bad for the teeth."

"So it's no surpise that this is sickly sweet, is it? For parents of girls ages 3 to 7, turn on the DVD and run like heck into the other room. My girls loved it, but I couldn't take it, even as background noise. What little bit I saw was harmless .... maybe a bit heavy on the reference to sweets, so beware if you're trying to pursue healthy eating with your kids. The "tension", if any, in the show is from an injured pony's bad attitude about being bedridden. No violence; I don't even think the pony's fall is shown. Rent at your own risk for your kids, then run ...."

And yes, this DVD will be appearing at the Dallas household in the next couple of days. Anybody wanna come over & watch it?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote