View Single Post
Old 05-23-2001, 09:22 PM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Question I dunno, Tom...

Yeah, we know that Firestone more than likely bears the brunt of responsibility for this debacle. I'll buy a Western Auto tire over a Firestone. (As a rule, I generally buy Goodyears.)

But realistically, I can't help but point the finger at Ford to a degree. The balance of weight in an SUV is at a different center than that of a standard passenger car, which gives them more a chance of tipping over. (Remember the original SUV tipover? The Suzuki Samurai?) I believe the SUV to be a flawed vehicle to begin with (minus the old Chevy Blazers, Jeep Wagoneers, and Suburbans--they seem more sturdy IMO). Adding some shitty Firestone tires made poorly in Decatur, Illinois was the death blow.

The SUV is the Gremlin or Corvair of our time. It is a gas guzzler, not very sturdy, intimidating on small streets in large cities, a poor parker, and gives some folks the ultimate delusion of being a badass. I don't want to take away from responsible SUV drivers...but most SUVs serve absolutely no point other than being big.