View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #84
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I just rediscovered Seasons in the Sun a few weeks ago. I actually put it on the iPod. It really took me back to my early childhood. It occupies the same pigeon hole in my brain as Billy Don't Be a Hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Yeah yeah, for me Billy Don't Be a Hero shares that space with The Night Chicago Died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
But anyway, they're also all part of one same category, which is "60s-70s hit singles in which a major character in the song dies."

Billy, Don't Be a Hero (who dies: Billy)
Casey Jones (who dies: Casey Jones)
Leader of the Pack (who dies: Jimmy, apparently the Leader of the Pack)
Run, Joey, Run (who dies: in an ironic twist, not Joey, but his preggers whore girlfriend)
The Night Chicago Died (who dies: hoodlum gang members, a hundred cops... but not dad!)
Indian Reservation (who dies: Cherokee people, Cherokee tribe)
Seasons in the Sun (who dies: singer, listener)

But they really crossed over the line when the animals started to get it:

Wildfire (who dies: Wildfire; and, you might have missed it, Wildfire's owner)
Shannon (who dies: Shannon; and the lyrics don't say it, but they are about a dog)

But it wasn't enough to get just the animals, oh no, they had to get the imaginary mythical creatures too.

Puff, the Magic Dragon (who dies: Puff, the Magic Dragon. Honest.)
That's the night the lights went out in Georgia (casualties: Andy, singer's brother, singer's sister in law, Andy and the Brother's friendship, the Brother's and Sister-in-law's marriage, reputation of all backwoods southern Judges and Sheriffs.) basically, if Sam Peckinpah wrote songs, this would be one of his. A Bloodbath.