View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
OK, I have to play devil's advocate here. There is no state in the country where it's as easy as it is in California to change the law via direct ballot action. Yet you suggest that the government is an independent entity that thinks for the citizens. What's the deal?
The deal is that the system is dysfunctional, if not broken.

There's a reason we have elected representatives. Professionals, or semi-pro, to do the work of legislation. When (seemingly) every law is challenged by a ballot proposition, what's the point of having a government that makes laws?

There have been some spectacular failures of successful ballot initiatives. Prop 13 comes to mind. The unintended consequences of that well intentioned measure were devastating to the public schools. There were other tax funded organizations that suffered greatly.

My point is that it is easy, too easy, to write a thunderously pandering proposition, gather the signatures and votes, without adequate regard to overall effect.

Additionally, we had these things on the ballot ALL THE DAMN TIME. I don't want to be a legislator. I "hired" someone to do that for me, and my neighbors. I don't want to walk around behind him, redoing all his work.