View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I think I would have to say a bouquet of flowers that I gave Mrs. Dallas in 1994. It was opening night of her conducting The Gondoliers.

Sounds fairly commonplace, except that I was playing in the orchestra. What this meant was that we were at home together, we drove together in the same car, we were setting up music stands, etc. etc. etc. We were never apart for the whole evening.

Even so, she didn't see the flowers until after the show and was completely surprised by them. She still talks about how (pleasantly) shocking it was.

There was also the time I sent her flowers at work for Valentine's Day when she was working in Center City Philadelphia. So she had to carry the flowers home on the subway, and apparently attracted a satisfying level of jealousy from other women.

Along the same jealous vein, her birthday was this past Tuesday. I took the afternoon off to take her to lunch in Philadelphia. This seemed to not be a big deal--something nice, surely, and something we don't get to do that often, but not something to write home about in shock and amazement. Yet the other moms at the bus stop were all fawning over me & being so impressed that I'd do something like that. (I find this something of a cause for concern--I don't need to cause more trouble with the other men in the neighborhood!)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote