Thread: Weird News
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #2315
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Problem is the people in power aren't the ones cleaning up the poo. So they will just helpfully say "make sure to wear gloves."
waaaitaminit.

Aren't *WE* the "people in power"? I know we're not the people who directly write the rules (or pick up the poo). I like the strategy of making this onerous policy even more onerous in the hopes that it will be abandoned, but I agree that this is applying leverage at the wrong place. I think the right place to apply leverage would be where changes in the policy could be made--those people who make the rules--lawmakers, administrators, etc. If *they* were subjected to the same indignities and hassles and costs (and for the same justification, namely none), I think the likelihood of having some reasonable changes made would improve.

The question then becomes "how can we make those people eat their own dog food?" That, I don't know. I imagine such people are exempted from the searches (and the lines!) and therefore don't really get it. Right now, it works out that the people that benefit (and decide) from the rules are not the people paying the costs. That disconnect is a recipe for trouble everywhere it occurs.