Thread: strange habits
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 11:46 AM   #12
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Among my most pronounced wierd habits are washing in a certain order in the shower (if you accidentally start with the arms, you've got to start all over again) and the need to have oatmeal -- and only oatmeal -- in the special oatmeal bowl made for me long ago by an old roommate. I also play these little ergonomic games with myself, while cooking or cleaning the house: how few trips can I make to the cupboards, or how to use materials so they get put away with the most economy of movement.

Most of us have these types of habits, many generated by convenience, some by comfort, others just by falling into a familiar routine. I learned a lot about this when my youngest daughter was diagnosed with OCD at age 5 (counting compulsively, to the point where she couldnt stop herself and it was interfering with other stuff she wanted to do). When you start to read the literature on OCD, and see examples of obsessive behaviors, it's hard not to say "Oh shit, I do that ALL THE TIME!" It is important to realize that we all have traits of all these 'disorders-- usually to our benefit. It is when the trait becomes an impediment to normal function (can't EVER leave the house because you need to constantly make sure it is locked, etc.) that it falls into the disorder range.

Enjoy your quirks, folks; I've got to go shave the cat . . .