View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #196
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
--snip--... I am, with all my faults, supposed to be the grown-up.
Bottom line.

Even when I'm being poked with a stick, yanked by my chain, etc. Two thoughts: this is just the (longish) moment before the sh*t actually hits the fan, it is on an inevitable trajectory, we're just seeing it mid-fling. (Upon reflection, I think much poo has been flung to this point, and we're seeing a moment between barrages... :blech: )

Also, just before, and especially after impact, is an important time to remember the bottom line. This can be/should be a teachable moment. There is an optimum response here. Just based on the short clip we saw, I can't fairly say what it is, more this or less that, harder, softer, whatever. I can imagine many other much worse responses that weren't captured on tape, and that's encouraging.

Kids are continuously probing the limits of their world, (think of all the reckless behaviors you and I know better than to attempt). Knowing where the edge of the parents' _____ (tolerance, flashpoint, devotion, etc) is is an important piece of figuring out the big unknown (though they'll choke before they admit it) world.

Parenting is one unending test, administered by the children and other circumstances. I got to pay attention or I fail the test and I fail the kid.