Thread: Is it Art?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2002, 07:13 PM   #14
sleemanj
Infamous Defamer

Quote:
Originally posted by gmarceau

Well, you don't have a word if everybody makes up their own definition of it. Words assumes a certain common experience which is called in the discussion when somebody uses one of them.
Mmmm, theoretically I guess that's right, a word implies a common meaning between the parties. Realistically that doesn't always work, especially with subjective words like "art", everybody has a slightly different definition of the word.

Quote:
Originally posted by gmarceau

Not to stay at rest, I'll offert a substitute : art is planes of communication intermingled with beauty and/or craftiness. The typical artful experience is : I'll stay longer since it's pretty, meanwhile the artist is happy I get I better chance at thinking over its meaning.
Ok, but you have used more of those subjective words to define a subjective word so we are not much better off. What is "beauty" or "craftiness" or "pretty".

I feel I am crafty writing a piece of code, if you are a more experienced programmer than I then you might see the code as obvious and not crafty at all. Therefore, am I being crafty because I think I am being crafty, or am I not being crafty because you see my code as obvious ?
sleemanj is offline   Reply With Quote