Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 05:38 AM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

One of the reasons I want to remain, is that I believe membership of Europe provides a last line of defence against some of our government's most extreme policies. For example, look at what happened with the so-called bedroom tax. It's been a disastrous policy overalll, but some of the worst affected were people with disabilities or long term illnesses. A group of people badly affected by the policy were able to take their case to the high court on the grounds that it infringed their human rights according to european law.

And though our country has opted out of many of the strictures on employment, there are still many employment rights that have come from membership of the union.

I fear the loss of that last line of defence, whether the conservatives stay in power of labour get back in. All the main parties (Corbyn notwithstanding) seem to follow a neo-con path on policies, that are downright damaging to the social fabric of this country.

I also, at an emotional level, still retain a belief in the ideal of European unity. I don't want our country to go back into 'Splendid Isolation'.

Most of all, I think that remaining would not make life noticeably worse than it is now. Remain may well do so.

So - for me it is a mixture of positive and negative reasons for voting to stay.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote