View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #1161
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
A. I ordered the upper rear suspension mount bracket as part of an entire strut shock assembly last week and have been patiently awaiting its arrival. I get a message that my payment is being refunded because the seller says "The part was damaged." BS detector is redlined. More likely "Holy shit the part was underpriced by about $100. and there's no way we'll sell it to you for that, so we're gonna tell you the part is damaged."

I emailed them asking, "Exactly in what way is the part damaged? I'll take it as is since I only need it for parts." No answer from them only deepens my suspicions. I think I will fuck up their 100% positive feedback if I don't hear back from them.

Car is still up on blocks since I still can't get those frozen bolts loose, Torch, PB blaster, SeaFoam, 3 foot cheater bar... AND opening day is this saturday. FML.

B. A few weeks ago the motor on my lathe was seriously smoking like a mofo, so I blasted it with air and it seemed better. Today I was trying to do some more turning and the thing froze up. I took it apart to trouble shoot it but it's pretty much fucked. It doesn't really owe me anything; I pulled it off an old fridge 20 years ago but still. Trying to get shit made for the craft fairs and an upcoming turning job this week. FML.

I have a vintage Singer Sewing machine motor that I was going to put it into service despite needing to fuck around with the mounting system It weighs about 45 pounds and is designed for continuous use sewing upholstery. Plug it in to test if It runs.

It runs. Backwards. Fucking fuck.

It's got two pairs of wires coming out of the body that are twisted together. I thought maybe by futzing around with them I might be able to reverse the polarity of the motor. There's no indication of the motor if this is possible. I unsplice them and try running one of the two. The motor makes an impressive motor running noise but does not actually run. I decide I need to stop and research this thing. It has a clutch and a brake but I took those off. While it might be cool to have a clutch and brake on my lathe, I'm not really up for that level of fucking around with things right now.

Gonna do some research on this motor.
Attached Images