View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 05:39 AM   #83
NoBoxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
I don't have to defend my right to exist by being an armed citizen, but I do choose to do so; it's my right and I won't give it up. Trading my birthright for the liberal's mess of pottage won't change the threats I face one whit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Stockpile lots of ammo, it'll make great footage when the Apaches come.
When the Apaches come; or, any other hostiles for that matter, I'd rather have MaggieL covering my 6 than many others here. Successful civilian personal defense is best achieved by adopting it as a life style just as soldiers, citizen-soldiers, and police have done. Proper mindset is essential to successfully employing the knowledge of weapons and tactics. MaggieL's priorities are squared away.

A single person can greatly affect the outcome of hostilities of the type that individuals are most likely to encounter. Even in the event of larger scale hostilities (e.g. riots), personal defense skills can be useful. An individual need not defeat all of the opposing hostiles in order to "win"; rather, the individual need only use available means to break contact with the hostiles and survive. This is a practical capability considering that our collective defensive systems (e.g. police, National Guard) are insufficient to protect everyone needing protection.

For the same reason (i.e. inadequate collective defensive systems), some people want to have their own gas masks and chemical protective suits. The government isn't going to issue these items to civilians, except for a few politically high profile locations, even if there is a chemical, biological, or radiological (e.g. dirty bomb) attack let alone just because people may live in a high risk area for these.

That's why it's BYOG(guns), A(ammo), PG(protective gear), W(water), F(food), ... BYOEverything; or, BYEBYE! It's simply not irrational these days to be prepared if one has the means.