View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #7611
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Today started foggy, but it burned off midmorning and felt like Spring.
So I went outside at lunchtime because neither of my teachers had an immediate need and I get restless with 70 minutes of lunchtime to fill.

Right before the whistle blew, I was talking to two of my Year Twos and they pointed out something that looked like faeces to one side of the Quiet Area (bark chips and benches etc). They told me it was poo, and it did look suspiciously like poo, but then it couldn't be. The playground was used for two Playtimes earlier in the day, so it couldn't have been there then, and an animal on the playground between 11.15 and 12.00 would be spotted! It was right ouside Class 6 for a start.

I went in before the children and wondered if I should raise it (and yes, I was thinking about clearing it up myself because it didn't look good regardless). Events got away from me. I needed to write a social story for Mars, because he shouted at one of our student teachers yesterday. We then had a one-on-one and by the time I came back in, the story had spread anyway.

Our HLTA sidled up and told me someone had done a poo on the playground, and could I keep an ear and a nose out to see if we could work this out. I felt a little relief that the matter was out of my hands (oof!)

Next I knew, our HLTA was talking to the HLTA in the class next door (my morning class - Tiger's class) and there was discussion about moist wipes and replacement clothes and all. It was a boy in that class. One who has bowel problems and one I have cleaned up after before. This was a bad one - what ended up on the playground had obviously tumbled through underwear and trousers. He was in a bit of a state. To say the least. But then this is a boy who has had to take his shoes home in a sealed bag after a previous explosive event.

I'm very sorry for him - he has a known condition. He must have been horrified and too scared to tell.
I feel sorry for Mrs J - crikey me I dodged a bullet there.
And for Mrs I, who from what I can gather was the outside pooper-scooper.

I really wish I'd done something or said something immediately.
Next time I won't sit and think. At the very least I'll raise a concern with a teacher and get their advice.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote