View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #1449
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
I dont think these bills will fix every problem with the current system...
particularly the long-term solvency of Medicare....
Huge issue - especially for me. The changes could be potentially huge and destructive.

Quote:
but, IMO, it represents a giant leap in the right direction as opposed to just a small step..or even worse, just standing still.
Giant leap - IMO thats a stretch - a Step forward, yes. It is a beginning. Standing still would be a bad thing. On that we agree.

Quote:
There are no guarantees. yet, for all the bitching and whining from the right, I have yet to see a better solution.
I've not heard one either - In fact, I haven't heard ANY realistic proposal. Perhaps the agree with some of this and their only argument is funding it. I don't think so, but maybe.

Quote:
The only thing we know for certain is that doing nothing and letting the current system continue to fester will not result in that system healing itself in the public interest.
In this case I agree. Conversely, GM should not get bailed out over and over. It should be broken up and sold/given/transferred/merged with companies that have success productive business models instead of keeping that decaying carcass on life support.