View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 02:23 AM   #12
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Yes, but Harry Potter's "witchcraft" is not for real either The Maya were and still ARE deadly serious about it. Check out the recent National Geographic article about this, Wolf, they have excellent artwork which portrays some of the more bizarre happenings in the Popul Vuh and photos of a ceremonial site which the photographer was allowed to visit.

I've read all about the Pre-Colombian myths and religions for many years as part of my studies of Latin America, but I doubt the symbolism or the sagas of the Maya will strike a chord in the western world. The main thread that you might be able to relate to is how thin the line is between the living and the dead in both Maya and Aztec cultural practices. But the Maya Land of the Dead is not a happy place that you would want to visit or to have anybody return from to visit you. Death, decay, and rebirth are deeply intertwined in these cultures. Their actual lives are spent under great hardships because of genocidal policies of the Mexican government in the 20th Century and the continued governmental abuses today. The Maya therefore do not have much tolerance for people like Mr. Gibson invading their lands to make movies about them. They also kill tourists down there, entirely too frequently. I just hope some tragedy does not take place because of a senseless misunderstanding of cultural differences while that many Anglos are in the area.