View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #30
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Watched this documentary about a guy who was supposed to be the next superstar back in the 70s but who was a complete flop instead. Only to have his music make it big in South Africa without his knowledge or compensation.

A guy names Rodriguez.

Anyway, the documentary was interesting. And they kept playing his mediocre music over and over through the whole thing. Especially this one particular song. So now this song keeps going around in my head. But it's really not that great of a song. Or maybe it is. 'Cause it's stuck in there.
He was the "Elvis" of South America, and he didn't know it until he was like, 70. He'd lived out his life doing construction jobs, in like Detroit or something. I mentioned this somewhere before. The best part is: when the reporter asked him if he had regrets about how his life had turned out, it was like he didn't even understand the question. He was perfectly happy living a simple existence in his little apartment, he enjoyed his work, had everything he needed. They did a huge stadium concert in South Africa, everyone in the place knew every word to every one of his songs, and his backing band was the biggest name rock band in the region at that time. I think he gave all the money away.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote