View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #893
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Okay, no photos.
Just a precis of what we ate in the last week.

Wednesday (first evening)
Harissa couscous and roasted vegetables
Seemed to go down well. I wasn't happy with the carrots - had too much "bite" to them. Al dente carrots became my signature dish during the week.

Thursday
One of my Gits meals. Methi Masar. With brown rice and naan bread. I think we all liked. I certainly did; did not taste like a ready-meal. I think maybe we are connoisseurs.
Quote:
A very popular vegetable curry made of a combination of fenugreek leaves, green peas & fresh cream. And much liked by connoisseurs. Along with the aromatic taste of the fenugreek leaves and the green peas, the natural delicate flavours of Methi Matar are enhanced by a subtle aroma of spices and seasonings.
Friday
Tuna pasta bake. Made with "sandwich" tins of tuna (with tomato and beans.) Topped with real breadcrumbs and Arran cheese. Needed more seasoning and more tuna. But it went down well enough. The only time I think I got the portion size right! Sorry teh Limeys, I'm too used to cooking for one.

Saturday
No cooking - opening of the K Social Club that Limey has been a big part of. It means for half the week she has somewhere she can meet people and have a drink (soft or otherwise) within a two mile walk. Anyway - they provided a buffet. From which I salvaged cooked potatoes. I'm such a scavenger, but thankfully Limey was not embarrassed and seemed okay with my waste not want not approach.

Sunday
Chicken breasts marinated in soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger. With leftover potatoes and baked carrots. Carrots still not quite soft enough in my opinion. But the chicken, although not highly flavoured (I should have made a sauce) was at least tender and moist.

Monday
My penultimate night.
More Gits. Punjab Chhole - chickpeas in gravy with brown rice and naan bread. Again the pack was for two people, but the portions when divided into three were embarrassing this time. I consoled myself that chickpeas are very filling, as is brown rice.
Quote:
A favourite from Punjab – " The Land of the Five Rivers", whose people are well known for their zest for life and their wholesome cuisine, Punjabi Chhole is a tangy dish of chickpeas in spiced, thick gravy of onions and tomatoes. Cooked slowly in a special sauce, its sour and tangy taste goes well with pitta bread or dinner rolls
Also made sweet potato crisps (chips) and knocked up a lazy salsa for dipping.

Tuesday - my last night
Limey sorted this one out really.
We had rollmops from Ikea, salad and boiled potatoes.
Guess what Mum and I are having to eat tonight? Well, the rollmops are from Sainsburys (sans dill) but the rest is the same!
I did toss the Limeys' potatoes in garlic butter, but I won't be doing that for Mum tonight.

In hindsight I should have taken up some of the recipes I've cooked before for Mum & Dad where we've had leftovers. Chicken & chorizo, chicken & dhaal, Spanish beef. Instead I took up food I could eat myself or share with just Limey. It would have been great to have had large cook-all-day recipes that the three of us could sit down to in the evening. We all sat down together every night anyway, but I felt I could have offered more than just assembling pre-made food.

Eating with the Limeys is pure pleasure. I always eat alone at home. And my eye is usually on the clock, so I can get everything eaten and cleared away before the 'rents come in and turn the kitchen into Piccadilly Circus. Even eating early I am often disturbed cooking and/ or eating by one or the other faffing about. And I can't complain; it's their kitchen. The Limeys on the other hand seem to see pre-dinner as wind-down time and even if they do "invade" they are so laid back it's not an issue.

Anyway - see how tonight goes. Mum hasn't had rollmops in a long time and is really looking forward to it.
One step up already.

Thanks to the Limes for letting me play in their kitchen.
I'll do better next time x

Last edited by Sundae; 03-21-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote