View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #127
sugarpop
Professor

And why do they arm terrorists? Why can't they be trusted? I mean really, let's look objectively at what this country, and other western countries, have done with regard to these kinds of things.

Why does Iran have need to fear us? Maybe because, along with Britain, we staged a coup d'etat and overthrew a democratically elected leader back in the 50s? Our actions DIRECTLY caused a backlash in that part of the world against us, and helped set off a revolution that allowed radical fundamentalists to gain power, and caused years of hatred and ill will against the west, simply because we coveted a resource that they had, but we wanted to control. What might have happened had we allowed them to develop on their own, without our interference? So we wouldn't have control of their oil. We seem to forget, it belonged to them.

Who armed that part of the world in the first place? Who sold technology to other countries? We, along with other western countries, armed Saddam Hussein with chemical and biological weapons, which he used against Iran and the Kurds, because at the time it suited OUR interests. How much misery was caused to the Persian people because of OUR actions?

And let's not forget, Halliburton has been accused of selling nuclear technology to Iran, and they certainly operated there until recently.

The truth is, we do things we think are in our best interests, like supporting one tyrant over another because they are more "friendly" to our political or societal needs at the time, until, they aren't anymore. Then they become our enemies. Why do have the need to control the entire world? Why can't we be satisfied with controlling our little corner, and leave everyone else to control theirs?

And, how can you say with a straight face that America is in favor of limiting proliferation when we are still developing new weapons?

Honestly, I am not trying to be argumentative, I am just trying to see things objectively from the other side.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote