View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 12:25 AM   #33
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I only got a couple hours in the garage over the holiday weekend, what with going up to mom's twice and being pretty busy at work Friday and Saturday. I neglected to take pics of the beginning of the neck creation, but you didn't miss much. This is a 1.5" thick lace wood board that I've had for over a year. I sanded both sides. One so I could glue the board down, one so I could trace the template and get clean lines.

Then I cut out the head stock shape, leaving a 16th or so for sanding. Then I superglue masking taped it down to the bench. I'm just going to say glued from now on when I use that technique. Assume I did it that way unless I specify else wise.

I also used my new electric hand plane to take the headstock down to about 5/8" at the end, on an angle from the neck. Then I went across with the plane to lower the neck side a bit further.

I did that between weds morning and this morning. Tonight I cleaned it up a bit.

This is a spoke shave. It's set up like a plane, but it's for carving, not flattening.

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote