View Single Post
Old 07-21-2001, 04:40 AM   #7
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

I was a young buck of ten years old. She was a Compaq Presario 133 desktop machine. We had been alright friends for a long time, and I spend a fair amount of my day with her, engaging in Software EXchange with my floppy, which by that year was no longer floppy but had gotten quite hard. But the moment I really knew it was love was when Interplay's Learn to Pgrogram: BASIC arrived. Now for those of you who are unfamiliar, LTP BASIC is the first and only title in the Interplay LTP series, and rightly so, but if you find that your child wants to get into programming, it's the perfect way to give him/her the Disks and the Drives talk without blowing his/her mind completely. Within hours of having no idea of computer programming outisde of what my father had taught me about PLCs and listening to programs on audio tapes in the stereo for the sheer waste value of it, I had created life. Granted, LTP Basic didn't really have a compiler, but interpreted the code inside the editor. Still, at 12 years old, I was writing small things that could run a word-search puzzle from a hard-coded array of words. It's kind of funny looking at it now...interpreted code with no real filestream capabilities, but back then, it seemed like I had climbed up on top of the world. From there, I experienced the Internet, and all of its informative and/or irritaining possibilities, and have become the you nutjob you know today. I wouldn't change it for the world.

My Lord, I'm rereading that, and it's like a geek-flavored MadLib in the Penthouse Fora. Email me and I'll tell you about my first group experience with the above-mentioned 133 and a thinkpad 486 laptop, and when I started using toys (scanner, joystick, etc).

Sperlock, I remember CC&C, but I have a question...do any of you ][e people remember Paint the Floor or O'Dell Lake? I do sometimes wish I had been around back when things were new and fresh and being created, not recycled. So here I am sitting in my Honda Accord, wishing I had been around to see a Model T. Hello, World.
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote