View Single Post
Old 04-15-2003, 09:57 AM   #10
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Bodies and blue hair.

Quote:
Its job is to support my head, and it does a fine job. Other than that, it generally gets in the way.
Quote:
I feel much the same way about my own body... I've often thought I should be in one of those 50s era science fiction movies where they extract the brain and have it go on living independently of the body.
     Now a word from the other end. I'm in the worst shape of my life, but I couldn't imagine not loving the physical presence of the body.
     I mean the sheer joy of movement doesn't get enough attention. The feel of muscles tensing as you leap down the last four stairs. The forward lean and the air flow of running. I mean christ, just the motion of these things have a pleasure all their own.
     Here's one I know I can get some backing on. The steady feel of holding a gun on target. The tightning of the tendons of the finger as it squeezes the trigger. The tenseness of the arm, keeping the gun on target. I know a few people around here must love that feeling.
     What about those of you with kids? I can't imagine spending a day with my children without roughhousing a little. Kids naturally accept the joy of motion. They love the feel of leaping off the back of the couch on to Dad's back. Even getting held upside-down by their ankles is enough to make most kids giggle maniacally. (Of course the mom's terror while witnessing this is almost as much fun as the kid's happiness at getting thrown around like a rag doll)
     Christ, don't you people stretch? That feels damn nice, talk about instant gratification.
     Bodies are gooood. Let's not forget, bodies can often feel better when they belong to someone else...

As far as the pic goes, that lady looks exactly like my great-great grandmother would have if she would have done the whole wooden plug thing. The bone structure and wrinkles are familiar to my eyes, makes me feel a certain level of kinship. Besides, the wooden plug thing makes about as much sense to me as dying hair to a bluish color and then making a helmet via the use of hairspray. And I've seen that a lot.
     UT may well be right about some of the inborn instinct, but I think it's more learned than inborn. I think that what you see in your early years heavily influences that. I look at that pic and even with the oddities I still feel a fondness for a mean spirited lady that doesn't give a damn what you think. Of course, I get that impression through the visual association and nothing else. This lady my be very nice. It's a fondness and an assumption because of my exposure to someone of similar appearance (sans the wooden disks and such) when I was very young. Go figure.