View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #3621
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I absolutely concur with that Bruce.

Moar, whilst some of the centres employ sensible systems to ensure new owners know what they're taking on and reduce the likelihood of a dog being returned to them at a later date, a lot of them go way too far in there assessment and adoption procedures.

I know quite a few that are, frankly, ridiculous. I know of several people who've gone through similar experiences to yours, where they have taken on a dog to foster with the hope of adopting and then had the rug pulled out from under them because the centre decided they weren't the perfect home for the breed. In one case, they said that the house and environment was not sutable for a bearded collie...not that this would be any kind of a block if they had decided to go buy a puppy. Not everyone has a large secure garden for their dog to play. How is that a reason to deny an adoption, if the person is an experienced dog owner willing to go for two hours of walking every day?

It's shitty. But, please do not internalise their decision as some kind of valid judgement of your capacity to look after a dog. They're being dicks. Be upset that you can't have him, sure. But that's them at fault, not you.

Of course you are good enough to keep Della. Don't let their silliness poison your enjoyment of her. She's a happy little dog and she has a lovely life.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote