View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #822
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I would like to build my own house, that would be so sweet! But when the day came to start, I would leave most of it up to architects, carpenters, plumbers, people who know what they're doing.

I mean I've only taken one single shop class, Electronics. And the one thing that class did was to assure me that I should DEFINITELY NOT be wiring my own house.

What classes did you take that tell you you have the ability to make this call. Did you in fact take Biology? Probability/statistics? Did you get taught germ theory and got a 90 on the test? I had pre-meds and pre-dents for roommates in college, so I know what I'm talking about.

This is not to say U R DUM so never take it personally. You know I love you man.

I'm actually saying WE R ALL DUM. We all fuck up our lives, always, regularly, because we don't know what we're doing.

So, a carpenter told you he sees houses not built out of brick to be unstable, and he's seen a bunch of them blow right over. Does that discredit the entire profession of carpentry? Does it mean The Fix Is In from from the Big Brick Industry? One single carpenter with an opinion, trying to make a point, doesn't mean I should take over pounding nails for my own place. If I want a really solid house, I should still be leaving all that shit up to other people. I am qualified to decide what color the paint should be, and what the wiring for the network should be, and not much else.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote