View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #235
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My sons have had an ant farm going over the school holidays (vacation) and my oldest son has been recording observations over the last week or so. These are the first couples of days worth. Some of the phrases were pretty funny to me and hubby. I don't know if they'll be as funny to you guys, but I thought I'd share.

Ant Colony Diary

Sunday 30th Sptember 5 pm:Green ants started digging colony. Aprox 20 ants.

Day One: Only got four hours to record. In four hours the green ants dug three cm down in ant gel.
Reflection: I was very suprised at how far down the ants dug because the people at the shop said it will take weeks for them to start digging. But they were black ants at the store and we are using green ants for this experiment.
Notes:The ants have created some sort of condensation on the inside of the container just above the line of ant gel.
Conditions: It was a hot day and we had the air con on.They have made it big enough for two lanes one down and one up.

Day two: I had a whole day to record. In one day they had dug about three cm down and two other tunnels.
Reflection: I was suprised when I looked at it because I thought the ants would have went to sleep but they didn’t which I thought it was weird.
Notes: Nothing really happened that day but i noticed that every time I opened the lid the ants would go crazy and try to escape.
Conditions: It was a hot day once again but we did not have the air con on and there was no condensation stuff. I kept on knocking the container over and that might have changed the way they acted.

Day three: I got a whole day to record again and in that day they had made alot of new tunnels and they are touching eachother. The ants have been busy on the third day.
Reflection: This day of my experiment was the most productive day of all three days so far. I think they have made about five more tunnels and they are all touching.I am very happy about how much has been done today and the last few days.
Notes: The ants have created a heap more space to move for themselves.
Conditions: Once again it was a hot day but no air con and also no condensation.(Which I think is a good thing because the condensation might have done something to my ants). Today I have tipped it over a few times again.